The roller shutter has evolved a lot over the years. It now offers many advantages, and is a very aesthetic solution. But what is its price?
Are you renovating or building your home and wondering what protection to install on your windows? Roller shutters can be an interesting option because they offer a lot of advantages.
Do not panic, it is a long time ago when we associated roller shutters and storefronts with a grayish appearance. Nowadays there is a wide variety of designs and styles , which has made roller shutters more and more popular.
What are the advantages of this option? What are the different models of shutters? And above all, what is the cost of these protections? We explain everything to you.
Get a free quote now for the installation of roller shutters on your doors and windows
Advantages of roller shutters
If roller shutters have gained in popularity in recent years, it is because they provide many benefits for the protection of your windows.
First of all, they are very effective in protecting you from inclement weather such as storms. They form an effective barrier against wind and rain.
Second, roller shutters are excellent security systems . They are indeed very resistant and many of them are even equipped with an anti-picking system. All of this will form a very good barrier against thieves and intruders.
Finally, they allow you to enjoy excellent insulation, whether thermal or sound . They will act as a barrier against the sun’s rays and allow you to filter outside heat to keep your home cool. In addition, they will protect you from external nuisances by forming a barrier against noise. You will be able to enjoy the tranquility of your home.
Cost of roller shutters
If you choose this type of protection for your windows, you will need to establish your budget before you start your purchase. For this, you will need to calculate the final cost of installing roller shutters. Obviously, the best way to arrive at a detailed budget is to request a quote from professionals.
However, in order to embark on the adventure with a few notions, know that to know the total cost of your shutters, you will have to take the following factors into account :
- The material used for your shutters;
- Motorization : do you want to install a shutter with a manual or motorized system? And what type of engine do you want?
- The performance of the shutter : it will depend on the brand you choose. Not all brands have the same qualities in terms of thermal and sound insulation, but also in terms of safety.
- Installation : what type of installation will you ask the professional?
For a standard size roller shutter , that is to say with a maximum width of 1.20m, it will cost between 150 € and 600 € . It is recommended not to buy an entry-level shutter, as it may get damaged or break down quickly. However, it is not possible to have the shutters repaired.
The material used
The big difference in cost that can appear between two shutters is mainly due to the different types of materials used for the shutters. You will generally find three models on the market:
- The PVC shutter : this is the most affordable model because it uses the cheapest material. This is the material generally used for entry-level models. Note that they will be easier to adapt in case of renovation. However, you will need to be careful because this type of shutter can deform under the effect of heat. For these models, it takes between 150 and 400 € .
- The aluminum shutter : these shutters are considered high-end models thanks to the aluminum which gives them greater strength and lightness . They will allow you to combine solidity and elegance, while guaranteeing you excellent insulation and security against break-ins . For these models, count on a higher budget, between 250 and 600 € .
- Composite shutter : As the name suggests, these shutters are made from a mixture of aluminum and plastic . It is a good alternative to the other two models because they are robust but available at prices a little more affordable than aluminum. For this type of shutter, you will need to count between 150 and 600 € .
When purchasing your roller shutter, you will have to choose between two versions: manual or motorized .
If you choose the manual option, you will have the advantage of having your arms work for free. Indeed, this system implies that you raise and lower your blind by turning a crank.
If, on the other hand, you prefer the motorized option , you will have to pay between 50 and 250 € to install it. This model has several advantages. Indeed, you can open all your blinds at the same time or even go as far as programming the opening and closing of your blinds in the morning or in the evening.
The price differences for a motorized version are due to differences in comfort. The more comfortable your option, the more expensive your shutter will be. For example, there are wired automated models , which will allow you to lower and raise your blind easily with the push of a button next to your window. But there is also a radio version which will allow you to control your awning from a remote control.
Obviously, each option will have a direct influence on the price of your shutter, which can allow you to make the decision that best fits your budget. The more options, quality and comfort you have in your awning, the higher the cost of installing it.
Installation of roller shutters
Finally, in calculating the total cost of your installation, you will also have to take into account the price of the installation.
The best way to have a detailed price is to request a quote from a professional in the sector. However, be aware that there are two installation techniques that will have a direct impact on the cost of installation:
- Box above the window : this is the most used. This can be placed inside or outside the room. This is the easiest installation to set up , so it will be less expensive.
- Integrated box : in this case, the craftsman who will take care of the installation will have to dig a sufficiently large space in the wall above the window in order to integrate and hide the installation system .
Depending on the type of installation you choose, you will have to pay between 100 and 200 € .
If you want to install an automatic version, the installation will be more expensive because your awning will have to be connected to the electrical system of your home. For this type of installation, in addition to a longer installation time, you will need a higher budget, around 250 €.
Grants for roller shutters
Buying, changing or installing roller shutters can be quite expensive. In order to limit your expenses for this renovation or installation, inquire to see if you can benefit from subsidies.
There is a lot of government, regional or municipal aid , in particular with regard to ecological measures. It may therefore be interesting to find out about tax credits, energy premiums or any other tax niche that would allow you to receive a subsidy. This would lower the overall cost of your new blinds.
In conclusion, the installation of one or more roller shutters represents a significant budget and very variable depending on the options you choose for your finishes.
In order to get started on this project in the best possible way, it is important to inform yourself before your purchase. To do this, do not hesitate to go see the professionals in your region, to ask for quotes from several craftsmen and to compare the different prices and services of these. This will help you make the decision that best suits your situation and needs.
Finally, be aware that the prices presented in this article are representative of standard windows and installations . If you are looking for a roller shutter installation for openings with non-standard measurements or with specific accessories, such as voltaic sensors, the prices can easily increase. Once again, it will be important to ask for quotes from different professionals in order to obtain prices that are more specific and close to your research.
Regardless, the discussion with a specialized craftsman is always useful and enriching. It will allow you to make sure that your project is viable and, above all, it will allow you to have a much more precise idea of the budget necessary for its realization.