More and more countries are joining the expansion of the natural gas distribution network. Despite the proven benefits of using natural gas as a primary energy source, it has significant environmental disadvantages.
So what alternatives do we have and how can we use them to benefit the environment and our family economy. Especially in winter when heaters in our pockets can wreak havoc.
Benefits of using natural gas
Economics is the main advantage of using natural gas over electricity and butane. This is due to the excellent ratio between price and calorie content, which, among other advantages that we list below, brings with it the following advantages:
- Natural gas reaches homes via a distribution network, so no storage space is required for it.
- Maintaining natural gas systems is less expensive than the periodic audits required for installing liquefied gases such as propane or butane.
- Since the supply is continuous, you do not need to know the current gas consumption or availability.
Using this type of energy is safe and very practical.
It has a high calorific value, making it ideal for heating, hot water and cooking in the home.
A natural gas installation is already integrated in the new buildings.
There are multiple uses in the home, such as heating, hot water and cooking. It can even be used as a fuel for vehicles. This is the cheapest price.
Compared to other gases, the combustion of natural gas is less polluting because no solid particles are emitted.
- It also does not require any special extraction process for its use, it is used directly during extraction, unlike butane and propane gases which require a process.
In the next article we will tell you more about it Advantages of heating with natural or bottled gas.
Disadvantages of use
- Although natural gas is the least polluting in its category, it is not a renewable energy.
- It is odorless and therefore dangerous unless a mercaptan based scent is added so it can be easily detected by the user in the event of a leak.
We’ll tell you in the next article all precautions to be taken to avoid accidents involving gas appliances.
- It is flammable and toxic.
- Produces greenhouse gases.
- Although the calorific value is lower than that of other gases, it makes up for this with its lower price.
- The installation can have a significant entry price, which is quickly amortized in the first few months of consumption.
It is recommended that the installation be carried out by a licensed professional gas fitter. In this context, you have access to a list of registered gas suppliers recommended by their own customers.
The use of natural gas and its impact on the environment
Natural gas has many uses in our home. One of them is the heating. To heat the environment with radiators or underfloor heating, it is best to use natural gas as the energy. This is a great advantage, especially for ease of use and price, because if we use other gases such as propane or butane the cost will be much higher and of course the price.
However, in locations where access to the natural gas distribution network is not possible, conventional propane gas connections are used. In these cases, caloric intake and expenditure will vary.
It is one of the least polluting gases
In terms of environmental impact, compared to other gases, coal and diesel, it is one of the least polluting gases at all stages. Although it has been proven that in the first phase of extraction, when the fracturing technique is used, noise and air pollution occur in addition to the generation of vibrations.
There are currently extraction techniques that have less impact on the environment. This is called Octopus Technology, which allows to achieve higher productivity by avoiding the pollution of water and atmosphere.
Natural gas is cleaner than other fuels
One of the main causes of acid rain is sulfur. Natural gas contains a small amount of this mineral and others that can also pollute the environment, such as mercury. In addition, it must not be subjected to any chemical treatment before approval.
For this reason, this gas is one of the fossil fuels with the lowest environmental impact.
Compressed natural gas is a good choice for the environment as a fuel
Methane has proven to be an excellent fuel for vehicles because of its price, productivity and low environmental impact. By using this type of alternative to petrol or diesel, it is possible to reduce polluting gases such as carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide that are released during combustion and are very harmful to the respiratory tract.